Friday, September 26, 2014

Creature Commission Cover




I caught a bit of the Halloween Spirit when Brian commissioned me to do this cover, saying "Do whatever you want". It took me a while to come up with what do, until I saw the Creature figurine on my desk and decided. "Eh, why not?" (Hear me talk more about this Creature toy on the Geek Fallout podcast here! )

Since posts about process get more views and comments I'd take you step by step through how I drew this cover.



Rough pencils to establish the most important shapes


Then I establish the darkest shadow eras and after that the finer details.



Then I repeat the process, but in reverse. 
With my brush pen I draw in the darkest shadows.


Then I fill in the small details with Micron pens.


Finally I double check to make sure I haven't missed anything 
and bumping up contrast between thin and thick lines as best I can.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about doing some rough sketching without necessarily preparing for a project, so that can be better figure out what it is "I want to do" for something like this in the future. Just trying to cultivate my artistic identity. Its weird having a blind spot on something so personal like "what do you like to do?"

Also I'm still taking suggestions and commissions for Halloween.

Sketch ya' later!

8 comments:

  1. Incredible work Erik! The creature is just a classic. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Derek! I hope to have some more monsters completed soon.

      Delete
  2. That is one of the best thing I have seen you do and as a fan of the CREATURE, I am extra picky about his art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mighty fine work! A perfect tribute to 60 years of the Creature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Erik! Gil-man would be proud.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. But knowing that Brian Lapsley is proud is more than enough for me!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...