Friday, October 3, 2014

The Many Faces of Lon Chaney


To prepare for Halloween I put out a call my Twitter account asking what I should draw. I got many colorful responses that I'll be posting throughout the month, but the one that got my attention right off the bat was a request by Michael May (of Michael May's Adventureblog!) for silent film icon Lon Chaney.



I gathered up some reference photos of Chaney in little to no makeup to get a grasp of what his face was like. He has a very unique portrait; The high brows, cheekbones and hair combed close to the scalp make him like grim like a skull, and yet he has big ears and a teardrop shaped nose that feel like they belong on one of the Muppets.

To demonstrate his extraordinary makeup, I dropped the opacity on his face and drew some of his monster faces over top. This was part was rather challenging as it was difficult to tell sometimes were the prosthetics started and ended.




The Man in the Beaver Hat
from "London After Midnight"

Erik, from "The Phantom of the Opera"
You can trust a guy with a name like that.

Now I want to hear from you. Doing a "character design" project like this was very out of the ordinary. Is it something that I should continue with something similar?

What would you like to see me draw during the month of Halloween?

Sketch ya' later!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...