Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Introduction, Influences and Interests


Greetings follow denizens of the Internet! Last week we got class back in session, so no we have the chance to get to know each other a little better.


My name is Erik Allan Johnson, a freelance illustrator currently living in Michigan. I attended the Columbus College of Art and Design were I received my Bachelor's degree in Illustration with a minor in art history.


My exceptionally tidy studio space.

There has been long standing speculation to where my artistic talent originated. My family has a long history of people with a strong urge to understand how things work. My contribution to this legacy is my fascination with the unique and personal nature of telling stories. When I read a comic or watch a movie, I'm always trying to identify the mechanics of the narrative and recognize how we communicate ideas.

My favorite subjects to draw are human figures and faces. I find portraits fun because they can be so loose and expressive and yet at the same time be chiseled with distinct and often geometric features.





Comics were my initial introduction to the wide world of commercial art. While I have spent years gaining inspiration from dozens of other artists, illustrators, and even drawing directly from life, that kind of style is still a major influence on the look of my work. I tend to gravitate towards crisp lines and play with contrast between black and white forms likely in inspired by comics like Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes or Will Eisner's The Spirit.

 


That's not to say I don't work in color or with non human subjects on occasion.





More about me and my work can be seen on these other sites:
* To see my full portfolio, check out my official website
* To keep up with my latest work, either follow this blog, my Facebook Fan Page or my DeviantArt Gallery.
* To see the kind of stuff that inspires me, check out my Pinterest

7 comments:

  1. So much talent, I love looking at your work. Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed learning a little more about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss M! Every little compliment is greatly appreciated. I hope to continue posting in the near future.

      Delete
  2. It was great to see more of you artwork and learn that you had a Deviant art site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then my plan of disguising a business promotion was a success! Yes!

      Delete
  3. Great stuff Erik! I hope to work with you someday on an assignment. I had a project come through last year that would have been a perfect fit for your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian! Too bad about that missed opportunity, I'm sure I would enjoy working with you! Be sure and keep me posted on any future developments.

      Delete
    2. Definitely! I look forward to that day.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...